CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

ALICIA'S JOURNEY WITH FA

Welcome to our blog where we try to keep family & friends updated on our daughter/granddaughter, Alicia, who is one of the most adorable five year olds ever! She was born with a very rare & aggressive disease, called Fanconi anemia, which causes bone marrow failure, as well as different cancers . She is currently undergoing a bone marrow transplant to try to cure her bone marrow issues. If you'd like to gain a little more background, please visit our first entry HERE.



Friday, April 3, 2009

Day +288

So sorry again that is has been a while since my update. I haven't even checked my e-mail in almost five days!!!!!!!!!!! Being home just consumes so much of my time. I know how many of you care and worry about Alicia and once again I am so sorry.


Everything is still going well at home. We had a couple of close calls with Temps, one last night was 99.9 but it went down so I did not worry. She has finally slowed down on asking to leave so much and realizes we are still isolated from the real world but at least we are close to home and family which makes it so much easier. Ne Ne and Mommy and Daddy make daily visits so that makes Alicia Happy.


We are Leaving on Monday the 20th for Cincinnati, I have told Alicia and she said "No Way" i laughed so hard when she said that. She said "No Mcdonald House Mee Ma" so I promised her we would only go to visit and not stay and she said OK. I told her she would see Theo and she was all for that.


Now to some not so good news............ I woke up Yesterday morning and our bed was soaking wet. y first thought was Alicia did not wake me up and had Pottied more than once and I was laying in urine up to my shoulders. YUCK!!!!!!! I woke her up (not so nicely) and told her to get up cause she had pee pee'd all over us and when she sat up she was holding her Picc line in her hand. i freaked of course and clamped her line immediately. I checked to see what had happened and you could tell her line broke and all that was left in her arm was the very thin tubing. Off to the ER we went. The reason the line broke was due to the Nurse I have been complaining about had not changed the dressing right. She did not use any securement device or any tape or strips to hold in down. The extension line was way to heavy and the weight broke it in the middle of the night. I was relieved to know I was not laying in urine but upset that I had voiced my concerns about this nurse before, needless to say she will not be coming out to our house any more and the new nurse assigned is much more educated with picc lines.


The new line being put in was a lot differently done here than it is in Cincinnati. They were going to put Alicia to sleep to do the procedure but I said No because she had already had two others with no sedation so why would she need it now. Alicia did very well, if only they would of blocked her view it would of been alot better. The sight of the needle was the reason why she freaked so I immediately blocked her view and it was fine after that.


Alicia is calling me so I will update more later. Thank you so much for your support and I will get b etter about the updates.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assumed that you were just busy having to do everything yourself. Can't believe the nurse did that to Alicia! That poor little one has been through so much already, she didn't need this!!!!!!
These verses are so very comforting. The Holy Spirit Himself is praying for you!
Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Charisse said...

Michelle, it is good you have a nurse who is now better educated about picc lines. It does help. Picc lines can be treaky. I am glad all things went well in the end.
I am also glad you were not lying in urine. That sounds a bit gross.
Bless ya heaps,
Charisse

Anonymous said...

Praying right now!
Psalms 27:13-14 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Lynn said...

You're in my thoughts and prayers!
Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to let you know I'm here praying!
Psalms 28:1-2 Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit. Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Lynn said...

Praying!
Psalms 28:6-7 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
Prayer Bears
My email address