CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

ALICIA'S JOURNEY WITH FA

Welcome to our blog where we try to keep family & friends updated on our daughter/granddaughter, Alicia, who is one of the most adorable five year olds ever! She was born with a very rare & aggressive disease, called Fanconi anemia, which causes bone marrow failure, as well as different cancers . She is currently undergoing a bone marrow transplant to try to cure her bone marrow issues. If you'd like to gain a little more background, please visit our first entry HERE.



Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day +238

Ok I am going to apologize from the start because I feel like I am about to vent..............

First Alicia is doing very well. Still no fevers. She is on her 7th day of antibiotics so only seven more to go before we can be released. The Port is still set to be put in on Wednesday and her labs are all looking good. Her Magnesium is holding steady which is good news.


We were moved o the 6th floor yesterday so se is currently in room 82 on A6. The care here is so much different. I literally did not see a nurse for over six hours yesterday and her pumps beeped for over an hour this morning starting at 7am. I had even pushed the call button 3 times. It woke up Alicia so we have been up ever since. And with being woke up at midnight and 4am for vitals I once again am very tired. Hopefully this week goes by very quick.


I am sooooo getting to my end with this. I am very ready to go home and I think it is in the best interest for Alicia to go home also. The Rmh is wearing very bad on me and I feel Alicia needs better isolation than I can give her with being there. Germs are all over the place there. And it is so hard to stay in that room. Alicia is out of the room way to much, with doing laundry, eating, checking the mail and having a normal conversation with someone over the age of 6. The kitchen is closing there next week so that is going to add to the even more frustration having to leave to even feed her. I feel very comfortable being in the hospital because I know she will not leave the room and everything is provided here so she won't have to leave. I know when we get home the situation will be so much safer for her. It even makes it worse with her getting so many bugs for somewhere ( probably the RMH) At home we would have our own kitchen, washer, and family so she would be much more isolated. (and I would have my sanity)


I called Michelle this morning which is Alicia's nurse coordinator and voiced my concerns. I told her as soon as I was assured the the bacteria was gone, and that would show after she was off the antibiotics for a few weeks then I wanted to take Alicia home. She was very patient and listened to everything I had to say so hopefully we will be leaving here soon.


Alicia is ready to take my temperature and blood pressure so I have to end my venting. Thanks so much for all of the support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and sending you lots of love. Dianne

Charisse said...

Oh My love, it is hard. SO this is not the transplant floor? Is it a haematology ward? Where are you? Sometimes care can be different on wards where the patients are more well. It can be true that you may not see a nurse for a while.
It sounds like you are way ready to go home. I pray that you get to go home.
(((HUGS)))
Love Charisse