CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

ALICIA'S JOURNEY WITH FA

Welcome to our blog where we try to keep family & friends updated on our daughter/granddaughter, Alicia, who is one of the most adorable five year olds ever! She was born with a very rare & aggressive disease, called Fanconi anemia, which causes bone marrow failure, as well as different cancers . She is currently undergoing a bone marrow transplant to try to cure her bone marrow issues. If you'd like to gain a little more background, please visit our first entry HERE.



Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day +247

Sorry I have not updated sooner. We were discharged early Thursday and everything is going well. Alicia is so happy to be out of the hospital. We had an appointment Friday and it was so hard to convince her that she was not staying at the hospital. She just kept saying " No Hospital ".


Our appointment Friday was a nightmare within its self. Of course my luck I had to get a nurse that obviously didn't get much sleep the night before ( my luck with nurses are not good lately) I am not the one to be messing with anymore and I think she realized it. It all started when she came in to do Alicia's vitals. Alicia does not like to be touched and ALL of the nurse's know this including her. Well she was insisting on pulling Alicia's sleeve up (and she had on short sleeves) and she wasn't having it. I told her to just take it over her shirt and she said fine I just won't take it and opened the door and pushed the machine into the hall. This made Alicia mad because she ALWAYS gets to take my blood pressure after they take hers. Well this nurse told her No because she would have to wipe it down if she played with it. She was pushing every button I had. I then told her that my child has had many blood pressure issues and by her not taking it she could be putting Alicia in jeopardy. She said she was not going "break" the policy. That was very strange to me because we have been here for 9 months and they have ALWAYS taken it over her shirt. Then she went to draw Alicia's blood and Alicia always gets to help but of course the nurse told Alicia No. She told Alicia to do her job and color and let her do her job and draw her blood. That was the last straw for me, I lost it. I told her not to tell my child what to do and I told her to get out of our room and send in Dr Davies.


Our nurse practitioner came in shortly after and I told her what had just happened. She got the machine from the hall and took her blood pressure (over her shirt) and it was very very high. She asked Alicia if she could do it under her shirt and Alicia let her on the first try ( she didn't just grab her and try to shove her shirt up like the nurse) With her blood pressure being high that made me even more madder. I asked to speak to the charge nurse so I could let her know what had happened and ten minutes later the Director came in instead. She assured me it would be addressed an I felt a lot better. She messed with the wrong Mee Ma.


Today we have been just relaxing and I started packing a few boxes. This excited Alicia so much. I let her pack a box also and she kept saying "we go home now" If all goes well we only have 16 days until we will be back in Kansas. I am still not getting excited yet as we all know the situation can change in a matter of minutes. When we are at the airport and out bags are on the plane I will get excited.


I want to ask everyone tonight when you are saying a prayer for Alicia if you could please include a friend of ours as well. I got a call from a very good friend this morning who's son has FA as well. He has had 3 transplants already and she just found out yesterday that his Leukemia has came back again. His name is Anthony and he is such an awesome person. Roxanne, his Mom, has helped me through so much during all of this and it just breaks my heart to know that this is happening to them. PLEASE say extra prayers for Anthony and his whole family.

5 comments:

Charisse said...

Michelle, we will be praying for Anthony. That is tough news for them....very tough.
Boy, that nurse sounded horrible! The type of nurse I would yell at....hehe. I thought a children's nurse would try and make the child feel comfortable. It is always possible as you found out. *sigh* I am glad it is being dealt with.
I am praying that all goes well and you actually can leave :-)
Love Charisse

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you're outta there for good soon!
Praying right now!
Psalms 121:5-8 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Mary Ann Fiaschetti said...

Don't mess with Mee Ma!! Alicia is so blessed. Glad you are out of the hospital. Alicia must have been so happy packing up a box. We'll keep praying for you all to get home soon and safely.
Hugs, the Fiaschetti FAmily

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle and Alicia,
I will definitely remember Anthony and his mom in my prayers.
It's sad to hear that you had such problems with the nurse--it probably took more time for her to argue and be obstinate than it would've been for her to take Alicia's blood pressure and let her check yours!!! Sometimes though, everyone has a bad day.
It's good that the supervisor, etc. came in to get the story of what happened.
I'm glad that you're now out of the hospital and that soon, God willing, that you will be back home.
I've been reading your posts every time there is one and you both have been through a lot.
I hope that Alicia's health continues to improve and that you will finally have some peace and some help with Alicia when you get home.
With Love. and Prayers,
Mary Ann
PS Please give Alicia a huge hug from me. Thanks.

Momma Bear said...

Hello Alicia! It sure was good to see your smiling face! I loved the way your eyes lit up and the smile behind the mask! Yes! I saw that smile! So sweet and precious! I hope you enjoy your Dora Plug n Play! Love you all!
Mee-Ma! It was good to see you too! Hang in there and keep those nurses lined out!