CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

ALICIA'S JOURNEY WITH FA

Welcome to our blog where we try to keep family & friends updated on our daughter/granddaughter, Alicia, who is one of the most adorable five year olds ever! She was born with a very rare & aggressive disease, called Fanconi anemia, which causes bone marrow failure, as well as different cancers . She is currently undergoing a bone marrow transplant to try to cure her bone marrow issues. If you'd like to gain a little more background, please visit our first entry HERE.



Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day +86

I want to start by saying that everyone in the Gulf area is in our prayers. My VERY VERY VERY best friend lives in Houston, she called me at 6am (here) 5am (there) and it was right when the eye of the storm was 20 miles east of Houston. They had no power or a radio so I turned on the Tv in the parent lounge and gave her all the info I could until she finally got signal on a news channel on her radio. I pray the water does not rise any more and that my Best Friend is OK.

Now for the update on Alicia..... Last night was maybe not as bad as "Ike" but once again Alicia has another fever. She spiked one and got as high as 102 around 1am. They did the usual for the millionth time and pulled cultures and started antibiotics. Still no reason as to why.

She also had to have a new NG put in around 9pm. The one she had down her nose had gotten to stretched at the end and the feeds which they started last night again would not stay connected so they were leaking everywhere. Alicia hates to have the tube put down but who would???? I was freakin tripping when I decided to have it done. I could not decide weather to stay with her and stand back and listen to her cry for me and more than likely I would of had them stop or to just leave the room and stay away for fifteen so it could get done because I know that it really needed changed. So i opted on my second choice and left the room before they came in with all of the stuff to change it. I went down stairs and walked round for twenty minutes and came back up and when I walked back in Alicia was pointing at her new tube wanting me to sit down and look at it. I gave her a huge hug and told her I did not know and that it was very pretty and she smiled and that was the end of that. The nurses said she did very well and they didn't even have to hold her down. They said once she realized what was about to happen that she kept very still and did not move. I am so proud of her and now I am glad I did not stay, One thing that I have with Alicia is the trust and protection and I did not want her to stop feeling either of those So that is why I chose to leave.

Now to this morning. Alicia's temp has went down a little but now she is having issue's with her blood pressure. Now her pressure is dropping so the Doctor in rounds changed every thing back to square one. She stopped all tubal feeds which I agree with since they are just going straight through her and now her stools are back to pure watery. She has also changed all of her PO meds back to oral and started her on IV nutrition's called TPN again. They want to give her gut a rest. They had tried this once before and that was when she was getting a little better about a month ago. But they said they are not rushing it this time. They think all of the tummy pain is from all the changes so they really think her tummy needs rest. This they said will take at least another two weeks so it looks like we will be here til our 100 day mark.

On the good note her Liver numbers are coming down finally. I was happy to hear that and she did very well with the infusion yesterday that they are giving her in place of the Voriconizol.

Mommy and Daddy will be here in 6 days. Alicia is so happy. She keeps asking for her Mommy and Daddy. We are doing the count down song everyday. I also can not wait. I need to rest and get away from here for a while so I am also doing the count down song.

Please continue to pray for Alicia and also for my best friend in Houston, Lisa, ans all of the others who have lost their home and other things in the horrible storm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Am praying and praying and can't help but think that staying in the hospital until everything is squared away with Alicia is the best thing that can be done.
Please give Alicia a big hug and tell her that I love her.
Does she still take care of the baby doll that I sent her or is she tired of it?
Thinking of you and praying.

Unknown said...

i AGREE WITH MARY ANN MAMA I THINK ITS BEST THAT ALICIA STAYS IN THE HOSPITAL UNTIL EVERYTHING IS SAID AND DONE. I KNOW YOUR TIRES OF BEING IN THERE BUT ITS THE BEST FOR YOUR BEST FRIEND. I LOVE YOU AND WHEN I GET THERE YOU WILL GO GET A WEEKEND BREAK. I LOVE YOU AND I WOULDNT TRADE YOU FOR THE WORLD. LOVE YOU ALICIA AND ILL SEE YOU N A LIL BIT. LOVE MAMA

Teresa said...

Yay, Alicia!! You're so brave to let them put in your NG tube without fighting them. I'm so proud of you!

Hang in there, Michelle & Erika. I know it's so hard for both of you dealing with Alicia being so sick for so long. I can't imagine how hard it has to be for Erika wanting to be there for Alicia and not being able to. You are all in our prayers. We hope that Alicia's little tummy feels better and that the GVHD will heal and go away.

Hugs,
Teresa & Emma

Charisse said...

Hi Michelle,
definitely will be praying for your best friend in Housten. That is very scary.
It is such a shame you have been in hospital for so long. At prayer meeting and we keep praying that God will sort things all out so that when Alicia can leave, she can leave without any issues and you shall not be worried.
Michelle, even though you are so tired, you are still doing such a good job. Alicia is one strong, little girl. She will be SO happy when her mumma and dadda get there. It is always good to have something to look forward to for the both of you!
Love you and praying still,
Charisse